Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Do you know about this art form?

DSC05094
click on the image to see it better

WHEN? Anytime

WHERE? Republic of Panama

I'll give you a second or two to check your brain cells to see if you've ever seen one of these somewhere.

I am wondering how much these sell for nowadays. Also, do you know where you can buy some of these if you travel there on vacation?

It seems like I heard of someone who collected enough of these that they made a bedspread out of them. I'm sure I would love that because I love the bright colors.

Enough questions. Here's a Wikipedia article for you to read about the history of the art form.

Mola (art form).

We have not visited Panama, but we could have and in hindsight should have.

2 comments:

  1. The same place where we took these pictures (our friends in Alexandria LA) is also the people whose mother made a bedspread out of these molas. Their whole house is full of molas. They even gave me a few small ones that they had not used in their decorating scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My email buddy, CZcentavo1 commented: "Made me home sick. You should plan a trip to Panama. I would say go SWA to Orlando then get COPA direct to Panama. You will need to go on a tour to get to the San Blas Islands where they are made by the Cuna Indians."

    ReplyDelete