- A new toy: We're the proud new owners of a handheld GPS unit
- A new hobby: Ever been geocaching? It's all the rage, and an excellent way to explore as we travel.
- Wendell even purchased a how-to book, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching – and might eventually read it.
The full-time RVing community's premiere geocaching experts have moved next door! Barb and Dave O'Keeffe have shown us the ropes with excellent hands-on training, so we've decided to not bother sticking our heads in a book for the time being. They operate as a team (Barb's the Navigator / Recorder, Dave's the Looker / Finder) and have been downright fun to learn from.
Barb recorded three successful cache finds today:
- We began along the Fish River, where Dave found the day's first cache attached to the underside of a Mobile Bay Civil War Trail marker.
- Wendell's first ever Mardi-Gras-licious geocaching find was located in a local Baldwin County park
- A cleverly-concealed cache at Foley's L&N Depot Museum was inside a tiny Altoids box that had been painted black to match the locomotive
We couldn't have asked for better geocaching mentors than Dave and Barb and expect to brave it on our own one day soon.
See more on flickr:
Geocaching photo collection